Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Vietnam Day 2

I'm gonna have to make this short and sweet because we've just spent hours trying to upload pictures and now if I don't go to bed, I won't be rested enough for our big day at the HCMC zoo tomorrow. One thing's for sure, there's nothing like a mac for blogging efficiency. This compaq laptop Jeff has is wearing me out!

Today, we went to the Visa hospital at the back of Cho Ray hospital to get Sabian checked out in order to get his passport. What an experience. The nurse was so cute with her rhinestone bow hair clip, pink crochet sweater, white nurse's hat and pants...and then this doctor? moseyed in and pulled out his backpack from his locker and got ready to assess our baby based on the paperwork and medical tests which have already been done. He told us nothing new and spoke in so heavy an accent, we struggled to understand what he was really even trying to tell us. We just smiled and generally agreed with what he said. Can't wait to go to our pediatrician in Texas who specializes in internationally adopted children and also has two daughters adopted from China himself.

Basically all we found out from this "medical" exam is Sabian's weight, length, and head circumference. I haven't even had a chance to look at the paper where Jeff hurriedly had to scribble down that info. I know this much, the 6-12 month pants that I brought literally slide right off his little legs. It's so funny! It's so hot here that he doesn't need them anyway, though.

We drove by the hospital where Sabian was born. Wow! Eye opener. I can't put it into words, but there's no way it can be very sanitary. As we drove around through the city all morning, I could not even take it all in. the sights of HCMC are just mind boggling. It is truly the experience of a lifetime for both of us. I can't get enough. It is so interesting how these folks live and work. The houses and businesses are stacked so high in skinny skinny 5-7 story dwellings. Some are nice, some are shanties. There are designer boutiques next to the most meager of existences. The sheer number of people out and about on the streets each day and all night is crazy!

After being an angel on our first day together, Sabian showed a little bit more grieving today, but also attachment to both of us, which is great! We are getting to know each other and I love that he needs us, which shows that he is begining to get the picture that we'll soothe him and that we are his caretakers who love him unconditionally. It is a curvy road, this attachment process, and every day brings something new to learn from each other.

I'm still amazed at how Jeff is so concerned with doing as much as I do for Sabian. He is the right hand to my left and I couldn't do this without him. He helps me give baths & medicine,takes Sabian to the store, feeds him, sweet talks him, and rocks him to sleep. It is truly a beautiful vision to me when I see this person I've spent seventeen years with totally and completely change into a loving father instantly. I didn't know he would be this involved, loving, and concerned. Sabian loves him and is completely comfortable having Jeff meet all of his needs.

-gotta go to bed-stayed up too late already-I'll post again tomorrow night if possible.



I could sit like this forever and never tire of the feeling I get with my baby attached to me! -even at 3AM when I've barely laid down and my eyes are stinging with sleep deprivation. The warmth between us is pure heaven to me.



To be sure, I did have to do a bit of convincing to get Jeff to be comfortable with the sling thing.
I just told him lots of hot and hunky celebrity dads have been caught carrying their babies, too!


Vietnam does Christmas like no other place I've seen! Everywhere, it's Christmas decor and more! -lots of it made out of styrofoam and tinfoil...I'm talking entire storefront windows covered in tinfoil dioramas of winter scenes with snowmen, santas. angels, and much more,




Uh-oh, now is the time his lungs get a work out!




This is before he became traumatized by the doctor




Now just try and tell me that is not the sweetest thing you've ever seen!




Gazillion bajillion families/friends enjoying the Christmas revelry all over the 1st district by our hotel. It is a scene I tell you!



Lights are stung everywhere in this district



We've made a game out of finding the most ridiculous number of infants dressed up in Christmas costumes and riding on mopeds smashed between and on top their parents. They are so funny, these little babies as young as Sabian scootering along with their parents through the mad house that is Saigon traffic. When we cross the street, it's like the episode of Seinfeld when George is dodging traffic like a game of Frogger with his arcade game trying to preserve his high score. You just go and hope for the best, that people will not run over you and you'll make it to the other side!



They're already celebrating the New Year here. It's just one gigantic party!


Streets are literally packed nightly, in the Christmas countdown celebration




Jeff's favorite meal where we picked out our seafood and we got to rip the heads off of the prawns to eat them. They were delish, I must say.




Men, the Master poker star, and his friends who showed us around the first night



Outside our hotel-never a dull moment! It's quite strange to have locals ask us (so politely, I might add) to take their pictures with them. We must be a bit odd to them and stick out like a sore thumb, although we've seen lots of American/European tourists as well...and even met another family on a culture trip with their two daughters who were born in Vietnam and China.














3 comments:

Katherine said...

When we were in Thailand, everyone stopped my brothers blonde girlfriend to take her picture with them. They're definitely not used to seeing blondes! J-Fro, you are very good looking with that sling on!

Lisa said...

Congratulations! He is so adorable! What an amazing gift!

Merry Christmas!

Carrie said...

Jeff, you were handsome enough before, but add a few yards of fabric and a baby and you're a full-on hottie!